The Satanic Ideology of Photoshop – by Mike Cosper
A cover photo for Intelligent Life magazine caused a small stir recently because it dared the unthinkable: show a celebrity’s actual face. Cate Blanchett, 42, appears on the cover in little makeup, her smile lines and wrinkles un-retouched. She looks less like an Hollywood star and more like a dignified human being, like someone you might see drinking tea at a neighborhood Starbucks.
Compared to this photo, other images of Blanchett look plastic. The April cover of Harper’s Bazaar also features her, but it shows her with perfectly smooth porcelain skin and smoky eyes. Her neck looks carved out of stone, her appearance as timeless as Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings, an unnatural immortality brought about through the magic of Photoshop.
She isn’t the first to go enhancement-free in a photo. I remember Jamie Lee Curtis doing something similar a few years back with a bit more fanfare, featuring a photo spread that showed every step of enhancement along the way in a normal shoot. The makers of Dove beauty products have been pushing the “Campaign for Real Beauty,” a series of promotions celebrating beauty that doesn’t fit the stereotypical mold for cover models. But these efforts, like the Intelligent Life cover, are significant only for their rarity. Photoshop is the norm, whether you’re shooting family photos, senior portraits, or billboards.
It’s become so normal that we hardly even notice it anymore, and that’s what makes it all the more insidious. Behind the wrinkle-removing, curve-enhancing, waist slimming work is a satanic ideology of youth and beauty.
Disco Dave on Reading between the lines Christy on “We are in love with our… musicbyfaith on When church fails to sati… Chris Edwards on The Case for Early Marria… Chris Edwards on Five great things that Stuart…
- Wise words from Billy Graham about how to deal with those new fangled songs in church... https://t.co/CDFhjIUVtQ 2 weeks ago
- Churches that have gradually ditched the Psalms, take note! "Whenever the Psalter is abandoned, an incomparable tre… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 month ago
- Wise words from Nero for anyone preparing a sermon for church tomorrow... https://t.co/agjrn1Aa9K 1 month ago
- RT @OakHillLondon: Considering full-time gospel ministry? Thinking about ordination in the Church of England? Come to our one-day event at… 2 months ago
- RT @lacymel: We'd love you to join us on the Keswick Youth Team. Applications are now open! Please follow the link below for more details.… 2 months ago